It seems odd to say ‘I remember when special toasts were a novel idea…’ There seem to be toast ideas popping up out of nowhere these days… sweet potato toast, unicorn toast, even mermaid toast! If you’re trying any of these toast, you most likely started with the “original” avocado toast. It’s gone mainstream, but avocado toast will always remain a winner in our eyes.
Avocados have protein and healthy monounsaturated fat. According to the American Heart Association, monounsaturated fats can help reduce bad cholesterol levels and lower the risk of heart disease. They also are high in fiber, which helps you lower cholesterol levels, control blood sugar and slow digestion. Slower digestion means you feel fuller longer…aka you don’t feel like you have to eat as much or as often. So, avocado paired with a healthy toast keeps you powered and full for a long period of time. WIN and WIN!
I love avocado toast alone, but wanted something a little more because I was headed out for a big day. I added egg to this recipe to for an extra punch of protein.
To top it all off, I used one of my favorite new discoveries – Gourmet Garden lightly-dried herbs. This cilantro was lightly dried and is in a perfect pinch pot for sprinkling over the dish!
- 2 slices healthy bread (I always vote for a multigrain!)
- 2 eggs (egg whites are a great option too!)
- ½ avocado (mashed)
- 1T feta cheese
- 1 pinch Gourmet Garden cilantro
- salt & pepper
- Toast bread.
- In a small pan, cook your eggs/egg white until fluffy.
- While bread and egg are cooking, mash avocado in a small bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Spread avocado on toast and cover with cheese.
- Add eggs on top of toast and sprinkle with spices.
I’m always looking for new avocado toast ideas – What are your favorite toppings?