We love bison in our house – it’s a great lean, local option for meat. Our local Gunpowder Bison farm produces everything from steaks to ground meat to jerky and we can get it all from their online store, farm store or at the Baltimore Farmers Market. YES, the market is still open through December 20 (THIS WEEKEND!) and this is one of the few local things you can still get there in the cold months!
Bison burgers are one of my favorite meals, so for a recent potluck at work, I made them but on a smaller scale – bites! There’s so many holiday parties coming up, I figured this would be the perfect recipe to share!
- 1lb Ground bison
- 2 t Wirschester sauce
- 1 t A1 sauce
- ½ medium onion (chopped finely)
- 3 mini sweet peppers (chopped finely)
- ¼ C egg whites
- ¼ C oats
- 2 t Old Bay
- Clean and chop vegetables.
- Mix all ingredients in a large bowl with your hands, so they all get folded in
- Take about two tablespoons of the mixture and roll it into a sphere. If you want them to be like little meatballs, you can leave them as balls, but if you want mini burgers, push down on the top/bottom to make a mini patty.
- Cook however you like most - I used a grill griddle on my stovetop. It gives you an even heat and grill marks!
- Cook for approximately 7 minutes on each side, or until meat is cooked through but still juicy.
- Take off heat and add them to a paper towel-lined plate.
- If serving at a party, add toothpicks for easy eating.
What other healthy party foods are you making this holiday season?