WORLD KINDNESS DAY (yes, that’s a real thing) was yesterday and we were so excited to celebrate! But, like many holidays, the day is there as a reminder, not a one-stop-shop. Should you only recycle on America Recycles Day? Should you only love your mother on Mother’s Day? Should you only eat pie on National Apple Pie Day? We think not.
So while many pushed you to give out some kindness yesterday, we’re here to remind you that you should today, too! And every day!
Did you know World Kindness Day has actually been around for a little while? It was introduced on this day in 1998 by the World Kindness Movement and its purpose is to “focus on the positive power and common thread of kindness which binds us all together.” Kindness can bridge the divides of race, religion, politics, gender, zip codes and more!
As we’ve talked about a few (billion) times, our busy lives often get even busier… We put ourselves on autopilot and forget to look around, be in the moment and support each other. World Kindness Day is here to change that.
There are so many ways to celebrate this random, but lovely, holiday every day!
Check out these 10 easy ways to spread the joy below:
- Pick up litter/trash on the sidewalk
- Compliment the next person (or three) you see
- Let someone go ahead of you in line
- Text/call/email a friend you haven’t spoken to in a while, just to say hi and wish them a great day
- Donate to a non-profit doing good in your community (or sign up to volunteer)
- Leave an uplifting note for a coworker or loved one or stranger to find the next day (Check out Operation Beautiful – such a cool idea!)
- Send a thank you note
- Bring some treats home or to work
- Buy a coffee for the person behind you in line
- Pay for someone’s parking meter
So what will you do to make someone smile today?